A full day, today. My colleague, Mat Fitzgerald, and I spent the morning working the soil around the top edges of the pit to create a flat surface, 2 feet wide all around, that we could use as a 'lip' where the pond liner will be secured outside of the pit:
After lunch, we were back at it, this time to lay the pond liner. It took a couple of hours of tugging and readjusting, some blisters, and quite a few lungfuls of silica (which coated the liner to stop it sticking to itself — nasty stuff), but we are pretty pleased with the result (the bumps are bedrock ridges):
For now, we've decided against installing a drywell to control the water level until we see how the wetland behaves when it is full, although it remains an option (along with a french drain outside the downslope berm) if necessary.
In consultation with representatives from School District 18, we've also decided to install a fence around the perimeter of the wetland, for safety. We had originally intended to leave it open, but install a wire mesh just below the water surface wide enough to allow frogs to enter and leave, but strong enough to stop a child from falling in. It turned out that the feet of the mesh screen would likely puncture the liner, so it got the thumbs down.
Some basic landscaping begins tomorrow...